Here’s a rough outline of what I’ll be saying…
Bouncer -> Librarian
How I learned to market my past lives to get a job in a library
- Remember: where ever you go, there you are.
- Bad Academics?
- Spin it
- Bad Job History?
- Spin it
- Go “Meta”
- Bad academics?
- Worse than mine?
- 1.7 HS 1986
- 2.3 UG 1990
- 3.0 MSLS 1994
- 3.0 “because we don’t give “C’s” in Grad School”)
- 3.9 MSM 2005
- Many years later (after ~10 years of library experience)
- Spin this as a positive
- “I have a history of improvement”
- This is how I got into Grad School.
- Bad job history?
- Is it worse than mine?
- Graduated College
- Truck Driver
- Public Libraries
- Page, LTA I, LTA III
- Librarian I, Librarian,
- Winery Renaissance Man
- Special Libraries
- Information Resource Manager
- Academic Libraries
- Information Services Librarian (Temporary)
- Network Services Librarian
- Systems and Electronic Resources / Web Librarian
- How to parley into libraries?
- Go “meta”
- Truck Driver developed my map skills
- Bouncer developed my people skills
- Page, LTA I & III developed my library awareness
- LIS School developed my librarian base knowledge
- Librarian positions developed my mad reference skillz
- Unemployed stints developed my desire to showcase my abilities
- Network Services and Systems positions integrated my disparate skills
- Questions welcome 🙂
Aaron W. Dobbs
Systems and Electronic Resources / Web Librarian
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
I will be an ALA Councilor at Large Candidate in 2008!
May I please have your vote?